Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reunited and it feels so...

I have been avoiding this topic because I am never sure who reads this and I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't think I can write about anything else but this today.  I just finished RSVPing for my 20 year high school reunion, and I am kind of not happy about it.


I am afraid I will get to the reunion and not have any recollection of most of the people in the room.

And that makes me wonder, if that is even a possibility, why am I going?

I've thought about that quite a bit and maybe I am making myself write this tonight so I can figure it out.


I think I am going because:


I want to show off pictures of my sons.
I get to wear a nice dress and not worry about Cheeto-dust fingerprints.
It is nice when someone throws a party for someone to attend.
I will not have to take anyone else to the potty.
I want to laugh with friends I almost never see.
Twenty year reunions do not come along every day.
If other people are flying across the country to attend, I can drive the three blocks to the venue.
I want to tell my students what it was like.
Going to reunions is what almost 40-year old people do.
The DJ might play some Madonna.
I want to hear other people's stories.
I want to share one or two of mine.
I was young once.
I am not anymore and I love that sometimes.

This helped.

5 comments:

Allie Higgins said...

I think all of those are wonderful reasons! I can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

I had my 30 in 2010. I made up so dumb reason not to go. I wish I had gone now. I missed a great party.

Diana Martin said...

I especially like your line when you said you were young once and you are not anymore but you like it. I think that is the best reason to go. You sound like you like where you are in your life. You'll be glad you went.

Unknown said...

Sometimes when I read your blogs it scares me, due to the fact that they often resemble mine so closely. My personal blog is often filled with pro and con lists of what college to go to or what book to read next. It is nice to see someone else who does the same thing, but I love how eloquently you word your lists and the revelations that your lists bring to you. You truely are an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...

we missed you at the 10 year and there are lots of people who i know can't wait to see you at the 20th. you were loved then and are loved now, even though most of us haven't seen each other in forever. i was super excited to see your rsvp yesterday. as i'm sure others were too. believe me, your memory of your classmates' faces will probably come rushing back to you when you arrive at the event. and don't worry...there will definitely be some madonna playing. wouldn't be a class of '91 reunion without it, especially with steph hall elliott in the house!