Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Definitions (SOLSC--Day 2)

A student asked me today how we know when we love someone.  Her question was not in connection with a romantic relationship she was trying to navigate, but instead stemmed from her feelings for her parents.  "I care about them," she said, "And I would never wish anything bad to happen to them, but I am just not sure that's what love is."

And in that moment, I am reminded again about why I am a teacher.  It isn't really to teach English or to share a love of books or even to inspire excellent writing.  She wanted to ask questions and have it be okay that the answers weren't complete because we are always moving closer to the truth but never quite reaching it.  I am a teacher because that young lady needed a space to speak those words and she needed me to care about them and really consider my response.  She wanted to open her heart a bit wider than she usually does and know I could be trusted with what was inside.

And that's what I told her I think love is.

4 comments:

Jennifer K. said...

Awww...what a sweet moment! It's moments like these that make you realize why we have the best job in the world! You have obviously developed a relationship with her where she can trust you with those burning questions. I'm glad you were there to listen and give her open, honest feedback. :)

Dana said...

I smiled at the end of this. You hit the nail on the head. Teaching...

Terje said...

We are always moving closer to the truth but never quite reaching it - I like the line. Honest questions and honest conversations are not that common at school. Your student is lucky to have you.

Unknown said...

I am lucky to have students. If they didn't ask such good questions, I wouldn't be pushed to think about these important things as much as I need to. That's one of the best parts of teaching -- the give and take. Thanks for the encouragement!